Tuesday, April 22, 2014

New Peruvian Chicken Near Fort Meade, A Blogger Event At Petit Louis, And Recs For Ramen, Cuban, Sysco Shopping And More


Jeff from the Southern Skies coffee company made a new find recently just east of Howard County on Rte 175.

That's Peruvian chicken for the north county -- and just one of the great finds or bits of advice that people email me or leave in the comments.  Again, I'm trying to capture a bunch here so that more people can share.

First, Jeff's thoughts on Lima's
I wanted to tell you about a new restaurant on Rt.175. The other day, my wife and I were coming back after conducting some business on Ft. Meade and happened across a Peruvian chicken place called Lima's. It's located in the old Friendly's place at 2641 Annapolis Rd. 
We split a half chicken and had black beans and fried yucca on the side. I've been eating Peruvian style chicken for more than 20 years, so I can say with some authority that the chicken there was very good. The skin was nice and crispy and even the breast meat wasn't dried out. The beans would have benefited from more seasoning but weren't bad. I didn't try anything else on the menu, but I saw that they featured Peruvian specialties like ceviche and lomo saltado.
On Thursday, Petit Louis in Columbia will host a free event for bloggers and blog readers as part of their kickoff of their outdoor space n the lakefront.  Check out HoCo Blogs for the details and how to sign up.  Wine tasting and snacks from 4-6 pm, what more could you want?

Well, you could want ramen.  After my post last week, Anonymous reported that Nari Sushi in Columbia does a kimchi ramen, and Xani vouched for the ramen at Ichiban, which I had mentioned.  I can't wait for the new ramen restaurant to open on Rte 40.

And there is more great ideas from HowChow readers:
CrunchDaddy's dinner

11 comments:

Adam said...

I drive (or run) past Foster's everyday. Not a peep. Just a makeshift sign saying closed. Did they not have a permit or something?

Anonymous said...

Royal Taj is moving and not opening a 2nd restaurant? Seems like it will be a Frisco Grille mistake, likely regretting it soon after moving away from a successful location.

Jessie Newburn said...

Thanks for promoting the upcoming HoCoBlogs event (for bloggers AND their readers) at Petit Louis Bistro.

Anonymous said...

It looks like a pho and bahn mi specialty place is opening right outside of Howard County in Hanover. Their website is http://eatphubs.com/welcome.html. The menu looks great so I can't wait for them to open. It is in the same shopping center as Cantina Mama Lucia and A Little Spice Thai Restaurant (great thai with authentic spicing) on Dorsey Rd just off Rt. 100.

Trip Klaus said...

I stopped by Foster's several weeks ago and was told by a woman who identified herself as the mother of the owner that there was a dispute with the owner of the property. She didn't elaborate and I didn't probe. She hoped the dispute would be worked out and they would open soon. Since this was over a month ago, I guess they haven't resolved the problem.

Junior Barnes said...

Lima's is a local chain with spots in Annapolis & Bowie as well. The website is here: http://www.limaschicken.com/index.html I went there a couple of weeks ago, and thought of them as a well organized Mega Chicken. The sides are displayed behind a glass case and you pick your protein and your sides and move down the counter to pay your bill.

Chris said...

Realize this is in Baltimore, but a Ramen shop opened up on Charles

http://blogs.citypaper.com/index.php/feedbag/baltimore-gets-japanese-noodle-shop-ten-ten-ramen/

Anonymous said...

Lima's is really fantastic. I've eaten often at the one in Annapolis when I've been visiting friends who live there, so when one moved to Hanover, close to my office and closer to where I live, I was thrilled (I've been hoping the'd open a place in Columbia). Their grilled chicken, yucca, and plantains are delicious, always hot, fresh and much better than what we currently have in Columbia: the chicken has crispy, crunchy skin and juicy perectly seasoned meat; the yuca is fried expertly, and isn't soggy, hard or greasy; and the plantains are melty and savory sweet with crispy charred edges. Their selection of side dishes is more extensive. I also think their green sauce is better, very spicy and delicious.

Anonymous said...

So the Chicken Out in Columbia Crossing closed. I'm not sure if this is news to anyone else. Really unfortunate, but I found out that they were bankrupt for the last few years.

Akiko said...

Lima's chicken is good, the fried plaintains were godawful... Very greasy and soggy. Never had plaintains like that. The customer service is BAD. We went there on Sunday, right before the dinner rush so maybe a good 10 customers in there. When you enter into Lima's, the setup is confusing. When you get to the second counter, there is a woman with a scowl on her face who is chopping chicken who is VERY RUDE. She gets very impatient when it gets overwhelming for her. The other kids helping out are sweet but that woman at the counter should be fired for having no patience.

Anyways, I'll give this place a shot again but I just hate it when the food is good and the customer service sucks.

Anonymous said...

They are opening a Mission BBQ where the Chicken Out used to be in Columbia.