Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Seaweed Snack Chips At Super Grand

We have reached a new frontier at Casa de HowChow -- the snack chip that was so unusual that Mrs. HowChow likes it more than me.

Fried sea tangle is a snack chip made from kelp.  It's a Korean crisp with the real taste of the ocean.  Salt from the chips, but also a sea flavor that smacks of something like a good oyster.

I smacked my lips.  But I admit that I found them odd.  I think I was expecting salt like a potato chip, maybe the taste of something like kale.  But the fried sea tangle comes with a hint of seafood, which seems right when I think about it but seemed a bit off as we first snacked in the car.

The Super Grand is a terrific market on Rte 197 in Laurel.  It's a Korean-run store like Lotte or H Mart, but it's a broader selection with Asian foods plus Hispanic, Indian, Jamaican and other cuisines.  Click here for all the Super Grand posts.

2 comments:

Mo said...

I'm having trouble imagining something other than kale chips too, but I'm intrigued!

Xani said...

These are my new obsession! They sell them at Trader Joe's and numerous types at H Mart, Lotte, etc. Great low calorie snack!