Thursday, May 27, 2010

Eating Fish In A Gas Station (Or Why You Should Get A Ceviche Lunch At R&R Taqueria)

The R&R Deli (nee R&R Taqueria) was one of my favorite discoveries when I was just eating tacos and fresh fruit milkshakes.

But the takeout in the Shell Station at Rte 175 and U.S. 1 has broadened its menu -- including a ceviche special that made a delicious lunch.  For less than $4, you get a takeout shell filled with marinated fish and sliced avocado on a crispy tostada.  This isn't exotic restaurant ceviche, but it's fresh and full of flavor with tomatoes, cilantro and onion.  It's a nice mix of fish so that each bite is slightly different, and the marinating liquid soaked beautifully into the tostada.

If you're eating lunch in Columbia, then you need to give yourself a break and try R&R.  For the price of your regular sandwich, I got the ceviche and a barbacoa taco.  Those tacos are still shockingly fresh with the deep flavors of barbecue and the fresh taste of herbs and spicy salsa.  This is a takeout that wants to make exceptional food.  The classic "hole-in-the-wall" that makes it fun to troll for new options.

The doctor in the house has approved the R&R tacos.  In the interest of full disclosure, I admit that I'm the only one to sample the ceviche so far.


R&R Deli
7894 Washington Boulevard
Elkridge, MD 21075
410-799-0001

NEAR: The deli is in the Shell station at U.S. 1 and Rte 175 on the Elkridge/Jessup line. It's really convenient from Rte 175 -- just go east from Columbia across I-95 and then look left at U.S. 1.

3 comments:

jessiex said...

Ate there just yesterday upon, first, your recommendation, and then my own love for the place. The soup was too hot (as in temperature hot and close to boiling), I scalded myself then scolded myself for my inability to community "muy caliente" or something like that to the gals behind the counter.

Will have to try out the new options there. The food is so yummy. And well priced, to boot.

Tom Coale (HCR) said...

I would love to do a Beat-esque On The Road Saturday with a couple bloggers as we try each Taco truck along Route 1 between 32 and 100. Dangerous? Yes. Necessary? Sort of.

Steve said...

R&R is becoming the most famous restaurant in Howard County. http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfromthewing/2011/03/06/theres-actually-good-mexican-food-in-the-dc-area-in-a-gas-station/