Friday, March 6, 2009

Pupuseria Y Taqueria Las Delicias in Elkridge

The newest food find in Howard County is beef worth pulling to the side of the road.

There is a new "taco truck" on U.S. 1 in Elkridge, and the innovation is the grill where you watch your meat cooked while you wait. Fajita beef. Pork ribs. Beef ribs. Pick your flavor, and the folks at Pupuseria y Taqueria Las Delicias box it up with tortillas, a tomato salsa, rice, beans and salad.

A charred, carnivorous treat for $10. A great break if you were doing errands at the Lowe's or along U.S. 1. Actually good enough to carry out for dinner because the beans and salsa were excellent. Bland side dishes are my real complaint about local Mexican restaurants, and they're delicioso at Las Delicias -- red beans slightly larger than the canned variety and tasty.

I had the fajitas, and they're nicely done. Marinated skirt steak with
real flavor, but tender enough that each bite came perfectly. None of the toughness that I have inflicted on a skirt steak on my own grill. I also loved the grilled jalepeno. I ate it by hand, sort of cringing for the the hot-pepper overload. But it was mildly spicy, even when I ate the seeds.

But this weekend, I plan on going back for the beef ribs. The chef gave me a taste as I left. Even better than the fajitas. Tasty meat that came right off the bone. One bite just wasn't enough!

Las Delicias is parked on the southbound side of U.S. 1 just north of Rte 32. It's very convenient from Rte 175, so it's a fine place to stop if you are doing errands at Lowes or shopping at the My Organic Market in Jessup. For now, they're serving on weekends, but they said that they plan to come every day once the weather improves.

If you go to Las Delicias, ask for extra tortillas. Two wasn't enough to wrap all the meat in my fajitas, and the woman in the truck happily gave an extra two to the guys in front of me. I stopped at Las Delicias because of post by crowsonguy on Chowhound. Now, I wonder if he was talking about something else -- because he says his roadside grill was north of Rte 175. We'll see next weekend!

I'm a huge fan of the U.S. 1 tacos, especially Pupuseria Lorenita's. It's cheaper than Las Delicias -- great if you just want two tacos and not the whole platter. Click here for a whole post about Mexican restaurants in Howard County and here for a tour of food along U.S. 1.

Pupuseria Y Taqueria Las Delicias
301-503-0391


NEAR: The truck parks on Rte 1 just north of Rte 32. It's on the west side, and you can't miss the truck and the grill behind it.

No comments: